Manushi Sangathan is a forum for organising citizen’s groups for action on specific issues. It works for democratic reforms that will promote greater social justice and strengthen human rights for all, especially for women.
Manushi Sangathan shares the basic goals of Manushi journal. However, it endeavours to go beyond offering critiques and suggestions for reform to actually helping put in place worthwhile solutions to the various problems confronting us in India today. Our engagements are based on patient study, a non-partisan approach, live interaction with the people concerned and culturally sensitive interventions
We take inspiration from the life and work of Mahatma Gandhi, and believe that we need creative ideas to meet the challenges of our times, not dead and deadening ideologies which play a divisive role in society rather than create a conducive atmosphere for the peaceful resolution of social conflicts. We believe that truth, non-violence and compassion are the most reliable criteria to judge the worth of any idea or action. Another litmus test we consider important for evaluating our ideas and interventions is whether or not they actually expand the horizons of freedom for our people and give due respect to their notions of a good life. We mistrust and avoid authoritarian measures for social and economic reforms and instead prefer to work towards a consensual approach to solving problems.
Activities and Goals of Manushi Sangathan:
- Strengthen the citizenship rights, human rights and civil liberties of our people, especially of those from vulnerable communities and those living in rural areas.
- Bring special focus to women's rights while integrating them in all our work on social, political and economic reforms.
- Undertake Public Interest Litigation and provide legal help for women.
- Work for a bottom-up agenda of economic reforms, so as to make it possible for our people to generate a decent livelihood through dignified, honest, hard work and their own entrepreneurial genius without being harassed, humiliated, or forced to make payoffs
- Campaign for electoral reforms to free our politics from the clutches of money and muscle power.
- Combat corruption and demand transparency and accountability in governance.
- Find ways to help prevent ethnic conflicts and recurring riots in India and evolve just and humane norms for co-living and effective power sharing between various communities.
- Lend support to all those who work to bridge the rural-urban divide in India and make agriculture a prosperous occupation.
- Strengthen women’s rights in the family, especially property and land rights
- Evolve effective strategies to enhance the participation of women and marginalized groups in politics and public affairs.
- Lend support to peoples’ struggles for basic survival needs: clean and adequate water supply, fuel, fodder, sanitation and the right to quality education and health care.
Make Common Cause with Manushi Sangathan
We urge you to support the activities of Manushi Sangathan by contributing generously. Like Manushi Trust, Manushi Sangathan is also crucially dependent on voluntary labour and financial support from individual well wishers. So far Manushi Sangathan has also not taken any institutional grants.
Donations to Manushi Sangathan are tax exempt under section 80G (5) (vi) of the Income Tax Act, 1961, and have FCRA clearance.
Personal cheques, drafts may be sent to Manushi Sangathan,C1/3 Sangam Estate, 1 Underhill Road, Civil Lines, Delhi 110054
You can also pay through credit card by…….Click Here
Contributions to Manushi Sangathan will be acknowledged on the website.
Our annual audited accounts will also be posted on the website.
Apart from monetary support, Manushi Sangathan also welcomes interns as well as part time and full time volunteers, especially those who are well organized. Those interested may write to firstname.lastname@example.org